There are a ton of food “holidays” and we’re a bit choosy about the ones we feel deserve celebration. Pi(e) day is one of the celebrations that make the cut. Pies? Math? I mean, no-brainer. (If you haven’t picked up on it already, especially in Noel’s posts, we have a bit of a nerdy side to us.) This year, pi day is going to be especially awesome. The date itself (3.14.15) gets you further than any other pi day will for an entire century. And if you celebrate at exactly 9:26:53 you get an astonishing nine decimal points (3.141592653) which is absolutely mind blowing, right? You better believe we’ll be eating pie for breakfast at our place. I’m working on a new pie recipe to share with you in the next few days, but in case you are the plan ahead type, here are a few of our favorite pie recipes.
- Dutch Oven Triple Berry Hazelnut Crumb Pie from Dirty Dish Club – This is probably one of my all time favorite pies and it isn’t just for camping!
- Coconut Cream Pie from Annie’s Eats – The touch of chocolate is genius and the pudding is so smooth and delicious.
- Chocolate Pudding Pie from Smitten Kitchen – I pretty much love everything Deb Perlman makes and this pie is no exception.
- Mini Pecan, pumpkin, or apple pies from Dirty Dish Club – For when you want something both delicious and cute.
- Better Chicken Pot Pies from Smitten Kitchen – I often use different veggies, but the crust is amazing and the method of cooking the chicken is both economical and delicious.
- Pancetta, White Bean, and Swiss Chard Pot Pies from Smitten Kitchen – Before we banned beans from our house (Boo FODMAP intolerance!) this was in our regular rotation. I miss it dearly, it’s such an unusual, yet tasty pie. Most of the time I used sausage instead of pancetta (cheaper), but it’s delicious both ways.
How will you celebrate pi day?