Two weeks ago, we set a record for both heat and snow in a 48 hour time period. It was a little bit of seasonal whiplash that lead to harvesting as much produce as possible. We had a crazy amount of tomatillos that needed to be eaten. With snow on the ground and temperatures below freezing, we dove straight into soup season and whipped up this delicious roasted tomatillo posole.
The veggies are all roasted in the oven, pureed, and then added to the soup. This part is basically our Ultra Salsa Verde recipe that gets turned added to a soup. You can adjust the number and type of peppers depending on your desired heat level. This is the perfect soup to warm you up on a chilly fall evening.
Roasted Tomatillo Posole
Veggies for Roasting
- 12 Medium Tomatillos Or 24 small ones like the ones from my garden.
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1/2 small white onion
- 1-2 spicy peppers (jalapeno, serrano, etc)
- 1-2 mild peppers (serrano, mild hatch, etc)
Remaining Soup Ingredients
- 3 TBSP butter
- 3 TBSP flour
- 4-6 cups Chicken Stock How long you let this simmer will depend on the amount of water. Start with the lesser amount
- 25 oz hominy
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 C chicken chopped or shredded I grilled two chicken breasts and then cut into into cubes. You could also pan fry or use rotisserie chicken
- lime juice optional, but highly recommended
- Optional toppings: sour cream, cilantro, tortilla chips, cotija cheese, etc
- Preheat Oven to 425ºF.
- Oil a baking sheet. Place tomatillos, garlic, onion, and peppers on sheet and cover with foil.
- Place in oven and roast for 20-30 minutes until veggies are lightly browned and it smells like heaven at your house. Remove foil and let cool.
- Peel garlic, slice open peppers* and remove seeds and stems, throw everything in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Make a roux: Melt the butter in a large pot. Add the flour. Stir until combined and continue stirring until the mixture turns a golden color.
- Slowly add the first cup of stock a little bit at a time whisking each addition until the mixture is smooth. Add three more cups of stock. Whisk until fully combined.
- Add the roasted veggie mixture and stir until smooth.
- Add the hominy, cumin, salt, and chicken. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- To serve, squeeze some fresh lime juice into a bowl of soup and top with any desired toppings such as sour cream, cilantro, cotija cheese, or tortilla chips.