We, as with many families, participate in the Mother’s day ritual of breakfast in bed. This year Audrey, as usual, was kind enough to wait patiently for me to complete the meal and deliver it. Upon receiving it, she pretended to enjoy eating a meal where any shift in her posture could send a mug of hot chocolate and greasy bacon into her lap and all over the bed sheets.
After what seemed like an agonizing eternity (but what couldn’t have been more than a minute or two) of her trying to carry on a conversation with me, read the cards the kids drew, and eat all while holding perfectly still, I couldn’t take it and offered, “You’re welcome to eat at the table with the rest of us.” Much relieved, she joined us.
The centerpiece of the meal was these baked or shirred eggs. They are very fancy and richly delicious for special occasions like awkward Mother’s day breakfast in bed. They are also easy and perfect if you’re cooking breakfast for a crowd because they’re all done at the same time.
- 6 eggs
- 3 tbsp cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 6 tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
- dash salt and pepper
- dash parsley minced fresh or dried (optional)
- Heat oven to 375 F. Smear a bit of butter into six small custard cups or ramekins. Put a dollop of cream (1/2 tbsp-ish) in each.
- Break 1 egg into each cup and put them all on a cookie sheet. Put a tablespoon of the parmesean on top of each and the parsley.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the eggs are just set and the whites solidified just barely. The eggs will continue to cook a bit once you remove them from the oven because the cups stay hot. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.
Leave a Reply