My parents are frugal perfectionists that are addicted to DIY. Outsourcing isn’t really in their vocabulary, even when it comes to big events like weddings. When I got married they filled their house with pots growing grass for centerpieces, sewed table squares, and hit up every after Christmas sale in a tri-county area to scavenge for items that could transform our church gym (we’re fancy like that) from mundane to extraordinary. Additionally, my mom tackled all things photography and my dad made somewhere in the ballpark of twenty from scratch cheesecakes for our reception. Everything was beautiful and professional, but exhausting. When my sister got married three years later it became apparent that my wedding was only a warm-up.
There were hand embroidered tablecloths, scaffolding decorated with twinkle lights and paper lanterns, and a self-catered wedding dinner and reception. In the weeks leading up to her wedding, the deep freeze filled up with buttery homemade croissants, tupperwares full of Norwegian cookies, and vats of this delicious sauce. If it hadn’t been for the failed experiment of cooking rice in the oven (thanks internet) that led us to scurry to the nearest Chinese restaurant and clean out their supply of cooked rice, I don’t think anyone would have even known that a top level caterer hadn’t planned the whole thing. After the bride and groom headed off on their honeymoon I did two things: bought my parents a large rice cooker and saved this recipe.
This recipe is a crowd pleaser. My kids even eat it without complaint. I know from experience that it is both scalable and freezer friendly so whip up a double batch and freeze half of it for later. You’ll be glad you did.
Chicken in Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 chicken thighs or 2 chicken breasts
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 C cilantro, lightly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 C white wine (cooking wine does the job)
- 1/2 C chicken broth
- 1/4 C lime juice
- 1 C heavy cream
- 1-2 bunch(es) green onion
- Whisk together marinade ingredients. Add chicken and refrigerate at least 1 to 2 hours. (All day or even overnight works too. Whatever fits best into your schedule.)
- Cook the chicken. Grilling it adds a wonderful flavor, but panfrying it in a tablespoon or two of olive oil also works. Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the cilantro and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, for one minute. Pour in the wine, chicken broth, and lime juice and keep on the stove until the mixture returns to a simmer.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or use an immersion blender and blend until the mixture is smooth. If the mixture was in a blender return it to the saucepan. Stir in the cream, chicken, and green onions. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat.
- Serve over rice.